Monday, August 28, 2017

First Day with Kindergarten

Today was my first day with my Kindergarten group. I have four girls who struggle with some basic skills, so today's goals including practice their names and working on the letter "a."

I first started with dry erase boards and had them write their names. However, it was apparent that was too difficult, even after I wrote their name for them and had them trace over it. One of my cuties managed to get dry erase marker all over her nose trying to smell her marker (I had scented dry erase markers).

For tomorrow, I wrote each of their names on a sentence strip. The top line they can write over my letters. The second line they are to write over the dashes and the last line they are to write their name on their own. I laminated them and will have students use dry erase markers to practice.

 

Towards the end of our group time, we practiced making the letter "A" with Play Doh. Of course the kiddos were thrilled with this, and Play Doh got everywhere, but it was fun! I showed them how to make an uppercase and lowercase "A" with the Play Doh, covering the gray lines. Once they were down, then they could get another color and practice again.

 
 

A couple of the girls had problems making the letters, but they all enjoyed it. We'll keep practicing. We are going to try to get 3 letters a week if we can!

No comments:

Post a Comment